The 2020 Vitality Netball Superleague season has been terminated with immediate effect by England Netball following the suspension in March due to the Coronavirus pandemic.
The decision was taken after weeks of discussion of options and scenarios by the Superleague Board and was subsequently ratified by the sport’s governing body.
It is not the outcome Manchester Thunder, the reigning champions, were hoping for however we understand and accept the decision which was based on the welfare and safety of players, staff, match officials, volunteers and supporters.
Managing Director Debbie Hallas said:
“No-one wanted this season to end, especially as it had only just begun. But the uncertainty of these unparalleled times has led us, regretfully, to this situation.
“As a franchise, we are firmly committed to ensuring that the recent momentum, increased profile and positive exposure that both the sport and the franchise has earned since the Commonwealth Games 2018, Vitality Netball World Cup 2019 and following Thunder being crowned 2019 VNSL Champions will not be lost.
“We are determined that Manchester Thunder will emerge from this global pandemic stronger, with increased appetite for success and growth and to consolidate its position as the leading franchise in the Vitality Netball Superleague.
“This recovery will however face a number of significant challenges, all of which we need the continued support of our dedicated supporters and trusted sponsors to overcome. With no further revenue being generated from our ticket sales this season – our key source of revenue, we are working hard to modify and adapt the way in which we operate to guarantee the future and long-term sustainability of the franchise.”
All ticketholders, members and sponsors will receive communications in the days ahead and Thunder ask for patience while this takes place.
- Matchday ticketholders for the rest of the season you will receive the choice of donating your ticket fee to ensure Manchester Thunder’s financial stability or receiving a refund – you will be contacted by Ticketline asking for your choice.
- Memberships which include Season Tickets will receive the choice of ‘banking’ their season ticket to receive a discount to the value of its current worth on next season’s season ticket or a refund of 80 per cent of the price – you will be contacted by Ticketline asking for you choice.
- Fan Memberships are not due a refund as the membership pack which was paid for by your purchase has been provided.
- Group ticketholders for the rest of the season will be contacted by Manchester Thunder directly.
- Commercial partners and sponsors will be contacted by Manchester Thunder directly.